Sunday, June 15, 2008


Gotta be a spoof!!!
If not...hideous failure.
***
My son Nic and I saw this today. We are movie addicts and rarely are disappointed with any movie that comes with a heavily buttered bag and goobers. So "Happening" was going to be okay even if it bombed.
It didn't bomb. It is strangely (Coenesquely) twisted...and artsy.
I laughed so many times through this latest Shyamalan flick because I honestly felt he was poking fun at horror history. shyamalan takes his ususal fine cinematography and blends it with a "toxic" dose of cliche'-horror and sends you on horticulture terror trip!
I wanted the sense that I was "getting it"...you know, the "inside" joke...so that's how I received it...a big joke. An artistically, gentle slap at horror history.......otherwise I couldn't have stood 20 minutes of this goofiness.
Nic is a big fan of Shyamalan...He was giving the flick every benefit...and little doubt. He is pretty astute in this arena, so I generally try to give consideration based on his response.
Soooooooo.....Basically: Good flick if it's a joke...Hideous if it's serious.

No comments: